How to Edit your Windows Host file
When you are setting up a new website, you may not want to wait for the domain records to propagate. You can make an edit to your host file to tell your computer where the records are supposed to resolve.
Windows 7 and Vista
1. Click Start → All Programs → Accessories
2. Right click Notepad and select Run as administrator
3. Click Continue on the “Windows needs your permission” UAC window.
4. When Notepad opens Click File → Open
5. In the filename field type C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts
6. Click Open
Once this file is open, you will add a line at the very bottom like this.
You will need to substitute the IP address for your server's IP, and the domain name needs to be substituted for your domain name.
Once you have added that, just click save and then you'll be able to go straight to your new site.